Vision of the Future: Reflective Journal Entry #2



You open the school district scope and sequence, you pop it into your presentation software and Bob's your uncle, right?  

Of course, nothing is ever that simple.  The SD71 scope and sequence was drafted by Mark Isfeld Secondary teacher librarian Tracy Richards, my mentor, role model, idol, guru and advisor.  She had some help from one of our elementary librarians, Todd Phillipps.  I didn't help at all, being too busy and overwhelmed in my first year on the job to be able to take that objective step back.  I do, however, acknowledge the importance of the scope and sequence...and now I'm going to back that position with some effort.

It's going to take more work than I thought to have the document ready to present to colleagues in August and adopt as a library skills curriculum outline.  Here's the original document:




And my changes so far:  




I added a few more elements and decided when to introduce each skill, drawing upon the work of teachers in SD60 to help flesh out the themes.  I am not going to put a lot more time into developing the document because I think of it as a work in progress.  As I collaborate with colleagues to put the scope and sequence into practice I'll see what works, what to add, and what to take away. 

I am also revising my thinking about how the presentation to colleagues is going to look.  My original plan was to present the scope and sequence and invite teachers to sign up for enough sessions to complete everything.  I was thinking of getting this all done in first term, leaving second and third for more curriculum-based collaborations.  

Once I began planning the presentation, I realized how autocratic this sounded, and also questioned my wisdom in incorporating the scope and sequence as a set of isolated themes and skills.  My new plan is to present a brief scope and sequence overview and then invite teachers to discuss how they could see the themes and skills for their grade level enhancing the lessons, units and projects they like to introduce each year.  Using my colleagues' ideas and insights we will work together to embed the scope and sequence in our learning commons-based collaborations. 

Needless to say, this all messed with my project planning calendar. I'm about three days behind at this point, but I allocated lots of time for the Visme and staff activity portions of my project I should be all right.  July 3 is my anniversary and I need the whole day off for the adventures my husband has planned.  💓  Must keep that in mind.


References

Phillips, T. and Richards, T. (2017).  Information literacy skills scope and sequence.  Retrieved from https://learn71my.sharepoint.com/:w:/r/personal/tracy_richards
_sd71_bc_ca/_layouts/15/Doc.aspx?sourcedoc=%7B4BFB3F97-EECA-4C9A-AC46-BB5A1C66BFFF%7D&file=Library%20Scope%20%26%20Sequence.docx&action=default&mobileredirect=true

Thompson, T. et al (2010).  K-5 digital literacy scope and sequence.  Retrieved from http://www.prn.bc.ca/ss/k5DL/.  



Comments

Popular Posts